Thread: why would employers want you to hand code their websites?

Default why would employers want you to hand code their websites?

I think because if you can type it by hand than they feel that you have a thorough understanding of it. Basically it is their way of weeding out people who actually know the language vs. those that code in design view.

If you demonstrate that you know what you are doing they would probably not care how you got it done as long as it is done correctly and on time.

As far as being faster, I guess that is relative to the designer, I could code a layout by hand alot faster than if I were to try to use DW or frontpage, cause I am not used to doing it that way, in fact I have never even seen FP.

Though I guess if I just used DW as a code editor I could type code by hand just as fast as in Crimson Editor or notepad

Another reason would be to ensure that you actually wrote the website, rather than "borrowing" that code from another site.

I would agree. I think employers want to know that you have a good understanding of xhtml, php, javascript, and other web programming languages. There are times when you are not just creating a static page which means you really do need to know how to use these languages. You mentioned frontpage. I have used both frontpage and dreamweaver at one time or the other. Frontpage tends to put lots of unnecessary code into the page which makes for difficult changes directly to the code itself. It really is designed to be used more as a designer for someone who is not interested in changing the code. I have had a lot of luck with Dreamweaver though. It only puts what you need in the code if you use design view and the split screen allows you to see changes made to the code or design.

Cynthia

I found all that other language to be too complicated. I prefer HTML thanks. Much easier.

I even tried flash a bit but forgot about that after playing with it for 3 days for nothing. It's best to do courses if you want to get right into these languages in order to know exactly what ever part does. Knowing HTML backwards is a huge job in itself never mind trying to learn all the other languages as well.

It depends on what you want to do and how dedicated to web design you are.

Don't you think you are payed to do your work in the right way??

Don't you think you are payed to do your work in the right way??

Hello,

Guys you are true employers want to see their employees writing the codes themselves.

I have 2 people working for me. When I had hired them I made sure for the first 3 months that they hand coded the webpages. But later I gave them Dreamweaver to create the websites.

Hand coding is great. When you know to create web pages, i mean complex ones since there are lakhs who can hand code but if you can code a very large n complex designed website then you can design almost anything. And the best part onces you know Dreamweaver then you would be able to convert your designs in html in less than an hour no matter how tough the sites are.