The Artist was named best picture at the 17th annual Critics' Choice Movie Awards, which were celebrated at the Hollywood Palladium Thursday night. "I don't like to speak so much," admitted director Michel Hazanavicius during his acceptance speech. He then invited all the actors onto the stage to celebrate the honor.

Hazanavicius was also named best director for The Artist. "There are so many beautiful people here. I have to force myself not to ask for autographs," he said in his acceptance speech.

The nearly silent movie also picked up awards for its costume design and score.

George Clooney received the award for best actor for The Descendants. "I'm very proud to be in this film," said Clooney during his speech.

Viola Davis was named best actress for The Help. "I consider it an honor to pay homage to these woman who at that time period were not allowed to dream," said Davis in her powerful acceptance speech.

Davis' co-star, Octavia Spencer, was named best supporting actress for The Help.

Christopher Plummer was given the best supporting actor award for his work in Beginners. "I feel terribly young tonight," he told the audience during his acceptance speech. "You brought back my youth."

Best acting ensemble went to Tate Taylor's The Help. Spencer spoke for the group, thanking Steven Spielberg, Chris Columbus, Tate Taylor and Kathryne Stockett.

Bridesmaids took the best comedy award. Producer Judd Apatow, who was censored three times during his speech, ended his acceptance with, "Jerry Lewis once said that he didn't think that women were funny. I'd like to say, with all respect, f--ck you."

Best adapted screenplay went to Moneyball. Steve Zaillian, Aaron Sorkin and Stan Chervin accepted the award.

Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris was named best original screenplay.

Rango was named best animated film. Director Gore Verbinski accepted the award, saying, "Thanks for this tonight, it's a tremendous honor."

A Separation was named best foreign film, with director Asghar Farhadi accepting the award.

Thomas Horn from Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close received the best young actor or actress award.

The awards are voted by the more than 250 members of the Broadcast Film Critics Association, comprised of more than 250 TV, radio and online critics, who pride themselves on being a predictor of eventual Academy Award nominations and wins.

STORY: 'Hugo' and 'The Artist' Top the Broadcast Film Critics' List of Nominations With 11 Each

Last year, the BFCA chose The Social Network as best picture, although the corresponding Oscar ultimately went to The King’s Speech. But its four best acting winners – Colin Firth, Natalie Portman, Christian Bale and Melissa Leo – all proved to be victorious on Oscar night.

This year, heading into the Critics Choice Awards, both The Artist and Hugo led the list of nominees, with 11 nominations each. They were followed The Help and Drive, with eight noms each, and then by The Descendants and War Horse, which both collected seven noms.

Rob Huebel and Paul Scheer served as co-hosts of the awards ceremony, broadcast live by VH1.

Complete list of winnners:

Best picture: The Artist

Best actor: George Clooney, The Descendants

Best actress: Viola Davis, The Help

Best supporting actress: Octavia Spencer, The Help

Best supporting actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners

Best acting ensemble: The Help

Best director: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist

Best animated film: Rango

Best foreign film: A Separation

Best young actor or actress: Thomas Horn, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Best documentary feature: George Harrison: Living in the Material World

Best adapted screenplay: Moneyball, Steve Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin, story by Stan Chervin

Best original screenplay: Midnight in Paris, Woody Allen

Best cinematography(Tie): The Tree Of Life AND War Horse

Best art direction: Hugo

Best editing: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Best costume design: The Artist

Best make-up: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2

Best visual effects: Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

Best sound: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2

Best comedy: Bridesmaids

Best action movie :Drive

Best song: "Life's A Happy Song" – The Muppets, Performed By Jason Segel, Amy Adams And Walter, Written By Bret Mckenzie And The Muppets

Best score: The Artist

Joel Siegel Award: Sean Penn

Critics’ Choice Music+Film Award :Martin Scorsese

Keywords:The Artist ,Critics' Choice Movie Awards, Hollywood Palladium ,Michel Hazanavicius ,George Clooney ,Viola Davis,
Davis' co-star, Octavia Spencer,Christopher Plummer, supporting actor ,Tate Taylor,Steven Spielberg, Chris Columbus,Kathryne Stockett,Judd Apatow,Steve Zaillian, Aaron Sorkin ,Stan Chervin,Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris , Gore Verbinski ,Asghar Farhadi , actress award,Broadcast Film Critics Association,TV, radio , online critics,eventual Academy Award ,BFCA , Social Network , Oscar , Colin Firth, Natalie Portman, Christian Bale , Melissa Leo,Rob Huebel, Paul Scheer, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes,Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2, Bridesmaids,Life's A Happy Song,The Muppets,Jason Segel, Amy Adams ,Walter, Sean Penn,Martin Scorsese