Thread: Mother of slain toddler suing Los Angeles Police Department

Default Mother of slain toddler suing Los Angeles Police Department

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/09/27/ca....ap/index.html

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with this case, but...

A few months ago, a man was involved in a shootout with police and was using his toddler as a shield (so they wouldn't shoot him). He was high on drugs, had threatened to kill another daughter, and finally barricaded himself in an office and started shooting at the police. They tried to get him to surrender, etc., but he just wouldn't budge. Finally, cops shot at him, and killed him, along with the little girl.

They were in the U.S. illegally, and when an autopsy was performed on the girl, there were traces of cocaine found in her.

I don't think they have any grounds to sue. This was PURELY the father's doing... the cops couldn't just let him go and continue to be a danger, threatening his family like that. I feel terrible for the poor little girl, but I think that the cops did everything they could reasonably do. He should NOT have been using the girl as a shield.

yes , the police did what they could. the mother should understand that!!. she shouldnt sue !!

Default So sad

It is so sad that in this country it is so very easy for anyone to file a law suit against someone for anything. I mean if someone looks at you crosseyed, you can sue them for it. I do not think this woman has a leg to stand on. The police were only doing their job to protect the larger majority of the public from someone that felt was a threat. Just my opinion.

Although I sympathise with the mother in her loss of her child. But as everyone has already said, the police did all they could. What else were they supposed to do? The man was armed, he could have killed any one nearby, police and other civilians included.

shuncou Guest

hooooooooo good man

he had barracaded himself into his office right with only his family shoting randomly.. they should of left him there let him eather run out of bullets or let him gop cold turkey... then he would of surendered. but if you come to think of it when he comes out they will prob kill him anyway... i really dont get the death sentence...... but thats another topic.

they should of left him there whtill he gave up and they should of used a better sniper who wouldent of shot the child.

the thing is they do have better snipers. so if i was the mother i would sue she lost her child the cop who did it cause he made a mistake.

Default Little girl's life should have been saved

I am of the thought that police should have tried a bit more to save the life of the little girl. This is MURDER and even if her mother sue the police department, the little gal would not return.

The little girl's life may not be important to his father and that's the reason he used her as his shield. But think of the mother also, she must be feeling too sad. She lost her family. Let the jury decide what is right and what is wrong.

Police department should take the moral responsibility of the same and they should try to avoid this kind of situations in future. Afterall, they are their to handle this kind of situation more tactfully rather opening the fire :-(

May her soul rest in peace and god give enough strength to her mother.

im sure too that they did what they could!

The mother should have made the husband a responsible person in the society. it is her mistake in failing to do so.
    And reg the child, i feel pity for her.

If they found cocaine in her, then she was probably messed up already. Darwin taking out the trash.