Thread: CDrom problem

Default CDrom problem

I dont know if it's the CDrom or the CD it's self but I highly doubt it's the CD I see no signs of scratches or anything.

This CD used to work on this exact CD-Rom drive. That was a couple of years/ months ago and now the CD doesn't want to run (autorun). I dont know what it could be so I'm coming for help and see what I can get from the site. . . but on the other hand the drive runs Music CD's, Video CD's perfectly with autorun and everything.

Additional information:
    I haven't played a game on this computer in at least 2 years if not more... so now I'm just wanting to try it again and once again having problems. I thought that the CD-Rom drive couldn't run game cd's but then I popped in another game cd that was copied and it went in perfectly auto run, but the Star craft original CD's don’t want to auto run.

CD Rom's can easily Scratch CD's, while I recomend Mad Cat's CD Reparier kit (which can be found at your local Gamer's or Gamestop Store) It Fixes most CD Scratchs, and I also use the Gamestop CD Cleaner and that really helps, also you should buy some CD Protectors, you can put on and pop a cd In and it will never skip and never scratch.

Also CD Rom's can age and damage CD's so getting a new CD Rom like 48x or 56x will make your PC's Performance Rapidly Increase.

Is it a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM?

If it is a DVD rom, can you run other cd-s or just dvd-s?

If you can run just dvd-s and not cd-s that it is probeobly wrong region set on dvd-rom or atapi cabel is damaged...

I can help you with region change if what I sad is correct, but DO NOT change regoin by yourself if you don't know what you are doing, since you have only 4 tries to change the region, after that you can't change it anymore, not even if you plug your dvd-rom in another computer!

He said nothing about DVD's dude.

If you have a cd Burner Drive, you can read CDs and burn them so all you need is that, and a dvd rom if you have one :P

Yeah I dont know what it is, like with the Hitman CD it works perfectly auto run and everything and when I pop in the Starcraft CD it doesn't want to auto run it...

The CD-ROM worked a while back when I tried these games and stuff, and now all of a sudden from no where it stopps working, just my luck... oh well, another problem to the list.

When CD's get stratched CD's tend to corrupt data, so all I can say is get a new CD Rom which is cheap and if you want to used old scratched cd's besure to get a cd repairer if you see any.

All I can tell ya is that the starcraft might be and the autorun might not run all the time, and the autorun file might be corrupted because when you pop in a CD the Drive scratches it to get it started and start reading it, thats why I use the CD Protectors and everything works fine :)

Protecting your CD's is cheaper than repairing your PC and spending tons of money. Even if you do get a new PC your CD's will get scratched :P

Quote Originally Posted by CFE_aAa_FeLoNy
    He said nothing about DVD's dude.

If you have a cd Burner Drive, you can read CDs and burn them so all you need is that, and a dvd rom if you have one :P
    Yeah I know he didn't say anything about DVD-s but I was asking just in case, maybe he forgot to mention it... if it is a cd-rom than CFE_aAa_FeLoNys answer is what you need to do.

I'm not sure what type of CD-ROM this is, it's on my HP Compact computer... all it says on the CD-ROM is 'Compact Disc... but I might as well get a whole new computer because this computer is problem after problem.

HPD. remember the Restarting problem, well yeah that still happens... so might as well get a new computer and use this one for parts if anything.

,and thanks a lot for your helps guys

New Compacts from like a year ago probably came with a 42x or 48x CD Drive, If you open your CPU it should say right on the drive. But Compacts are so hard to work on and I always injur Myself trying to fix one :P

hahahah yeah, I tried opening it but I dont see jackshit in there, it's all covered and put it tight (hence compact). I dont want to play with anything in there because the same thing will probably happen (hurt myself) or I'll just mess it up even more, if thats even possible.