Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 Commandments in School

I think they are going about it all wrong. It's not about religion, it's about civil moral code. What's wrong with the 10 Commandments? They tell us that we should live and strive for a higher amount of excellence in our lives. They tell us that living murderous, adulterous, covetous lives is unacceptable. The problem is that no one wants discipline, no one wants to be told they are wrong... that's why they tout freedom of speech and other rights they way they do. This life should be about living it in excellence, not finding new ways to make it "okay" to break moral laws.

Default good

good work i like it
    creative idea good work

Our government was based on religious principles from the very beginning. The 10 Commandments are the foundation of our moral government.
    The basis on religious principles can certainly be argued. Evidence indicates that many of the founding fathers were secular and practiced Deism rather that theism. If they were alive today, they would be classified as atheists (even though pretty much everyone is technically agnostic btw). Also the Treaty of Tripoli essentially comes out and declares our nation not founded under religious principles.

From wiki (more credible sources are around if need be)
    Many of the more prominent Founding Fathers were vocal about their opposition to organized religion or anti-clerical, such as Jefferson. Some of them often related their anti-organized church leanings in their speeches and correspondence, including George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson (who created the "Jefferson's Bible"), Benjamin Franklin, Ethan Allen, and Thomas Paine.
    Several of the Founding Fathers considered themselves to be deists or held beliefs very similar to that of traditional Deists, including Jefferson, Paine and Ethan Allen.
    "The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion," states the 1797 Treaty of Tripoli. This document was ratified by Congress without much debate or contention and stands today as a reminder of the founding fathers' intentions.
    What's important to note is that around this time period, there was no widespread rioting or discontent caused by the treaty. This suggests that the public was far less enthusiastic about religion than we believed. It is important to separate an idealized view of American History from facts and a cultural analysis of the time. Think of Jackson, Wilson and all of the other racist presidents. Jackson was an equal opportunity Indian killer. Wilson and other presidents were often racist, some more openly than others.

parents should teach their kids morals and the schools enfore them. most parents dont do their job.

Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    parents should teach their kids morals and the schools enfore them. most parents dont do their job.
    I agree to this.
    It is easyest to blame everybody then to look on your self and your behavior.
    If someone wants to belave in God so let ih, if someone dosen't, so what?!
    If there weren't christianity, the europe would probably still be savages, and in usa would be filed with indians...

10 Commandments in schools????

I would have to say no... For the reasons posted above, not everyone is of Christian beliefs....

Schools are a place that children have to go to, they do not have a choice normally, so why should it be forced upon them???

Everyone is totally entitled to believe or not believe anything they want, you worship in your way, I will do it in my way ;) ;) ;)

The ten commandments teaches people morals, and shows them that they cannot run ramp'ed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12