Thread: tRAVEL tHE gLOBE

Default tRAVEL tHE gLOBE

Norway, "The Land of The Midnight Sun" as it is so often called rests on the Western part of the Scandinavian Peninsula and shares borders with Sweden, Finland and Russia. Norway has a long coastline pierced by fjords and a mountainous interior that is blanketed by some of Europe's largest glaciers. Over 500 sq. km of Norway lies north of the Arctic Circle, but the country's western coast usually remains ice free year-round, thanks to the warm waters of the Gulf Stream.

The hallmark of Norway is the ever so abundant pristine nature. To understand the unique position nature has in the Norwegian self-image, it is not enough to look at geography and climatic conditions. One must look into the cultural evolution of Norwegian people where identifying with this beauty becomes the integral part of Norwegian heritage.

In the 19th century Norway was forced into a union with Sweden, which, true enough, permitted Norwegians to manage their own affairs in most cases. For hundreds of years prior to that, Norway was an integrated part of the Danish realm. The written language was Danish, and most intellectuals were oriented towards Copenhagen. At this time, particularly after the uprisings in 1848, a wave of nationalism rolled across Europe, and many small and independence-minded people became intent on defining themselves as nations with the right to full political sovereignty.

This is where nature and veneration of nature come into the picture. What Norway lacked in cultural riches, it made up for in its diverse, rugged and majestic landscape. National poets took to writing poems celebrating the mountains and wide-open spaces, and painters portrayed wild and untamed Norwegian scenery. Norway's national identity gradually took the form of a lifestyle characterized by closeness to, respect for and love of nature, particularly the sub-arctic mountain landscape requiring great courage, strength and endurance from those who have to survive in it. Danes and Swedes were in this light refined and decadent city people, and the image of the thoroughly healthy, down-to-earth, nature-loving Norwegian was established as a national symbol.

Understanding this cultural perspective makes a visit to Norway more than a tourist excursion. It is a pilgrimage to study the most complex phenomenon of human identity being practiced so casually and successfully by a nation of 4 million. Hans Magnus Enzensberger, a German sociologist wrote, in his small book on Norway, that this country is simultaneously an ethnological museum and a future laboratory. A perfect balance between the turbulence of modernity and the inertia of tradition. Norwegian people and their sense of pride is as important and majestic as the Aurora Borealis or the snow capped mountains that define their national landscape.

Keeping this perspective, lets take a brief tour of the country. The pictures I hope do some justice in communicating the beauty of Norway and the painstaking task its inhabitants have taken to preserve it for enjoyment of those who cross its boundaries.

To Be Continued in Part II.

LAND OF THE MIDNIGHT SUN

We'll start in Oslo. Oslo sits at the head of the Oslofjord, an inlet of the Skagerrak. It is the oldest of the Scandinavian capitals, having been founded by Harald Hardrada in 1050. After being leveled by fire in 1624, the city was rebuilt in brick and stone by King Christian IV, who renamed it Christiania - a name that stuck until 1925 when it reverted back to Oslo. Despite being Norway's largest city, Oslo is remarkably low-key. The city center is a pleasant jumble of old and new architecture with an abundance of museums parks and monuments. A must see in Osla is the Vigeland Park is a wonderful expanse of greenery, duck ponds and rows of shady trees - the ideal place for leisurely strolls and picnics on the lawn. Its central walkway is flanked scand10.jpg (45449 bytes)with life-size statues by Gustav Vigeland, a prolific artist who presented the human form in a range of emotions and poses. Probably the most impressive piece is a monolith of writhing bodies, believed to be the world's largest granite sculpture. Those of you who have seen the recent Shah Rukh movie Badshah must have noticed Shah Rokh and Twinkle dancing amidst these magnificent statues. From a desi perspective another attraction was the famous burger joint'MALIKS'. Bring run by a Pakistani family the hamburger joint is very popular amongst the locals. In fact it was rated number one in a local newspaper, a few spots ahead of McDonalds and Burger King. Being a Malik myself, I was able to enjoy a free meal after holding a brief conversation with the owner. Even in Norway the tradition of Pakistani hospitality is alive and well.

A 10-minute ferry ride across the harbor takes you to Bygdøy. This peninsula has some of Oslo's most outstanding attractions including Norway's largest open-air folk museum; maritime museums housing excavated Viking ships and Thor Heyerdahl's balsa raft Kon-Tiki; restored stave churches; and a couple

of good beaches. Be careful while visiting the beaches in Norway. Norwegians standard of modesty is quiet different than ours. Topless and even complete nudity is common.

Risør

scand11.jpg (19777 bytes)This cluster of historic white houses built around a small fishing harbor is one of Norway's most picturesque villages. It's popular with artists and tourists, and is a summer hangout for Norway's yachties. Visits to nearby islands can be made b inexpensive water taxis. One such island is Stangholmen, which has an old lighthouse with a restaurant and bar. A perfect setting to chill out with a cup of coffee and a good book. I sat there for hours watching the clouds form in the horizon and melt away as time passed. I captured a picture of a boat strolling peacefully across the calm waters. The colors of the image communicate the same feeling I had sitting on that hard wood bench. This by far is one of my favorites. Let me know what you all think.

Central Norway

The central part of Norway takes in the country's highest mountains, largest glacier and most spectacular fjords. Unsurprisingly, this region is the top destination for almost all travelers to the country. The historic city of Bergen, with its cultured atmosphere and low skyline of red-tiled roofs is the main jumping-off point for journeys into the western fjords. I

thought Bergen was the city made for romance. From its architecture to the folk music being played on the street musicians is intoxicating. From here you can visit Sognefjord, Norway's longest (200km) and deepest (1300m) fjord; the scenic Hardangerfjord; the massive Jostedalsbreen glacier; spectacular waterfalls and Trollveggen, a jagged and often cloud-shrouded summit near Åndalsnes that is considered the ultimate challenge among Norwegian mountain climbers. In addition, there are resorts, an excellent national park, and road trips through some of Norway's most breathtaking scenery. Don't miss the 470km train journey on the Oslo-Bergen railway: this scenic trip is Norway's finest, and passes through mountain ranges and the windswept Hardanger plateau.

To Be Continued in Part III.

Tromsø

The `Gateway to the Artic' is a stark contrast to the sober communities dotting the northern coast of Norway. It's a spirited town with street music, cultural happenings and more pubs per capita than any other place in the country. Snow-capped mountains provide the scenic backdrop, the town has a swag of period buildings and the Tromsø Museum is a good place to learn about Lapp culture. There's also fine skiing here in winter.

Å
    Pronounced (AUO) is the shortest name for a place in Guinness Book Of World Records. This fishing village on the Lofoten Island of Moskenes is intriguingly named and well preserved. It boasts a shoreline of red rorbu (a fisherman's hut built over charging waters), plenty of cod drying on racks, and postcard-perfect scenes at every turn. Many of the village's buildings have been set aside as the Norwegian Fishing Village Museum, complete with old boats and boathouses, a period bakery, storehouses and so on. We rented one of the rorbu to be able to tell folks (like you) we stayed in one of those for a night. The most interesting and unique feature about the rorbu's is a hatched opening (in the floor of

the sitting area). A means to provide easy access to the fishermen wife to throw rubbish into the sea.Yes this was one occasion where I enjoyed sweeping the floor so we can toss the little dust we had collected in the raging waters of the sea. Sleeping in a rorbu is an experience by itself. You can hear the waves banging their heads against the wooden posts hoisting the fragile cabin. The noise caused by the raging water casts a mysterious spell of fear and adventure, especially in the hearts of those who are not good swimmers like me.

Hammerfest

This 10,000-strong fishing town claims to be the northernmost town in the world. If its name sounds familiar, it's a perfect place to be mesmerized by the intricate dance of the Northern Lights. While you're waiting for this celestial display of psychedelic, check out the Royal & Ancient Polar Bear Society and the reindeer grazing in the Hammerfest graveyard.

Lillehammer

I call Lillehammer the Vail (As in Vail Colorado) of Norway. As the hosts of the 1994 Olympics the friendly people of Lillehammer gained popularity in the world. The small town on the shore of Mjosa, Norway's biggest lake, has become the most popular tourist attraction after they received the Winter Olympics. Lillehammer is not only sport arenas; it is beautifully located on the shore of Mjosa and has several cultural attractions as well. I think my esthetic vocabulary falls short when I describe Lilehammer. Magnificent, breathtaking, alluring, wild are just few of the terms coined in English to explain Lillehammer.

It's been almost seven years since I last visited Norway. Nevertheless the majestic images of Norway are still fresh in my memory. All that is required to relive the experience is to unleash the concealed emotions and think about the spiritually exhilarating experience I had during my six-week pilgrimage to Norway. I'll continue this series with some more photographs and a few more stories. All you'll have to do is visit the travel section again for a lesson about Norway and a few stories of an euphoric traveler.

Must be nice to visit far-away exciting places. Never really been outside of Ohio much myself. :(

Quote Originally Posted by deathbyblonde
    Must be nice to visit far-away exciting places. Never really been outside of Ohio much myself. :(
    don't feel said my friend.
    surely,one day u'll go a world tour.
    be happy. :cheers: :)

I envy those people who seemed to have bottomless wallets and they could travel around the world and visit exciting new places.. :cry: